Monday, September 23, 2013

The Wedding Girl -- Madeleine Wickham


by



I’ve seen this book for some time. Looking at the author’s name, I wanted to read it, but I couldn’t convince myself to buy the book at that time. I’m afraid the story would be disappointing. But still I’m curious, so I bought it, read it, and here’s what I think:

I LOVE IT!

This book is not the same as the other novels written under Sophie Kinsella’s name. This book was written using her real name. The story is not as light and funny, but still fun to read, though.

So, the story begins with Milly, when she was 18 years old, marrying an immigrant, Allan Kepinski, in order to help him stay in the country. Milly didn’t think about the risk and consider her action as a favor. She keeps it a secret from everybody, including her family. Nobody need to know about it.

Ten years later, Milly has changed. She is a grown up woman, so much in love with her fiancée, and about to get married. But when someone from the past comes around, and remembered her as a bride from the registry office, Milly panics. She realized that she’s still a Mrs. Kepinski. And she has to track Allan down to get divorce.

But tracking Allan is not as easy as she thought would be. The problems get more complex and other secrets start to reveal.

I love the conflicts and how everything turns out in the end. I feel sorry for Rupert (you gotta read it to know who he is).

But the ending makes me smile a little and makes me want to read another Madeleine Wickham’s books :)

No comments: